Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Worth the Wait!

Tonight I made pulled pork for the first time! Now, I did not take this picture. My hands were full with trip photos but this is exactly what it looked like. Now as everyone knows, I HATE BBQ! What I mean by that is I hate the flavor of BBQ sauce. But, I think if I make it myself and can control the thickness then I may actually like BBQ sauce.  I was looking online the other day for a recipe and I was on the Bobby Flay site because he is GOD of the BBQ Grill. Gianni walked up and said, " mommy is that Bobby Flay?" I  told him he was correct. He then said, "mommy, I think you might have a tiny crush on Bobby Flay! Do you?" I admitted yes to my son and then quickly decided to go with my own little version of pulled pork which was interpreted from Bobby and the Neely's! Here is the recipe if you want to try it!

Pork Preparation:

1. Buy a 7lb pork shoulder

2. Make rub mixture: 6 TBSP paprika, 3 TBSP sugar, 1 TBSP onion powder, and lots of salt and pepper.

3. Rub the pork shoulder with the dry rub, place in a deep roasting rack inside a pan with the fat side up, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.

4. Cook pork at 250 F for 6 hours or until the center comes to a cooking temp of 165F.

5. Once the pork is cooked, let it rest for a LONG time until it is cooled to handle by hand.

6. Remove fat and shred by hand! This takes for ever but it is worth it.

7. Prepare BBQ sauce.

BBQ Sauce Preparation (Neely's Recipe):

1. In sauce pan mix: 2 cups ketchup, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard,  2 TBSP lemon juice, 2 TBSP Worcestershire, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 TBSP light corn syrup.

2. Bring to a boil.

3. Reduce heat and simmer for two hours. (I did not simmer for two hours! Didn't read that part until the end so I only did about 30 minutes. I liked it because it was thin!)

I served with Cole slaw! We loved it! Not sure what to do with the leftovers. Tomorrow will either be pulled pork tacos w/ tomato and avocado salsa or just more BBQ pork!

No comments:

Post a Comment